By Lauren Linhard – firstname.lastname@example.org – @LinhardReports
Since I arrived on the scene at the end of January things have been all abuzz about Hanover Borough and the council. Residents have accused council members of some shady business and the council has said residents are not paying enough attention to know better.
In an effort to bridge the gap, I’ve compiled a few Q&As with council members, both to remind them as to why they joined in the first place and to remind residents that council is a group of people just trying their best.
The following declined to participate or simply never returned my attempts at contact: John Gerken, William Reichart, Robert J. Marcoccio, Raymond Morris, Sonny Eline and James Roth.
This week I’m featuring Sylvia Yingling and Gerald Funke. Next week I’ll have Henry McLin and Kim Griffin.
From Sylvia Yingling: “My name is Sylvia Yingling and I live in the 5th ward. I’m 62 years old and I am the owner and operator of the Hair Gallery on Boundary Avenue. I enjoy golfing, reading and knitting. I chair the Public Safety committee and am on several others.
When Linda Stonesifer chose to leave Borough Council, Bruce Rebert asked me complete her 4-year term, and at the end, I decided to run for the next 4-year term.
Some of the issues that I find important are to see downtown Hanover continue to grow with new opportunity for businesses to open and activities to bring more people downtown.
Also, I feel it is important to support our local police and fire departments. Both the police and fire departments keep up with available education to keep us safe and do a great job protecting our community.
Because we do live in a great little community, I have always felt it is a wonderful place to raise a family. There are many parks for the children to play in and downtown is a few blocks for most people to walk to.
I would like the residents of Hanover know that I am an honest person and like to keep an open mind on issues regarding the borough.”
From Gerald Funke:
Name: Gerald (Gerry) Funke
Borough Committees: Finance & Personnel, Planning & Traffic, Street (Chairman), Sewer & Water
Day job: Vice President of GHI Engineers and Surveyors
1) Why did you join Hanover Borough Council? To give back to the community.
2) What do you like and dislike about serving on council? Like – providing constructive advice on the committees I am on. Dislike – uninformed people that do not take the time to obtain all of the facts on an issue.
3) What are some local issues that you consider of high importance? Downtown Hanover is my main one.
4) What is your favorite part about living in Hanover? Convenience of short distance to commute for work, goods and services, the number of people I’ve come to know.
5) It’s a lovely Saturday afternoon, what are you most likely to be doing? Depends on time of year, could be yard work, inside project, a drive to Hauser Winery to enjoy the lovely view.
6) What is your favorite childhood memory? Christmas carols on the steam whistle at York Wire on Christmas eve.
7) Any hobbies? Collecting and listening to music, carpentry, art.
8) What is one thing you want residents of Hanover to know about you? I have no hidden agenda while on Council, my word is my bond.