By Daniel Paulling
The biggest question this week: How far to move Spring Grove up after its 41-34 win against Central York last week. Here’s my answer.
1. South Western — The Mustangs, at 3-3, are starting to fade in my mind. Yes, the losses have come against quality teams such as Cedar Cliff, Central Dauphin and Dallastown, but the line play hasn’t been great. Running back Dillon Thomas, who has 829 yards on 99 carries (8.37 YPC) is having a player-of-the-year type season.
2. Bermudian Springs — Before the season, I wondered if the Eagles would have an undefeated regular season. They’ve gone 6-0 behind a strong defense and running backs Tristan Sponseller and Zach Stroup, who have combined for 1,121 yards.
3. Spring Grove — The Rockets are 4-2 after a big win against Central, but I’m waiting until South Western’s game tonight against the Panthers before determining what order to rank those teams. The Rockets are here because they gave up 386 yards last week.
4. Biglerville — Oakley Fissel, Joe Hurda and Jordan Wenk have rushed for 1,437 yards, but they’ll need some help or a win against Bermudian Springs in the last week of the season to move up.
5. Delone Catholic — Squires quarterback Brett Smith is completing less than 40 percent of his passes and has rushed for just 122 yards. He hasn’t received much help. Nick Braun leads the Squires with 271 yards rushing and Austin Noel leads with 247 receiving yards.
6. Littlestown –The Thunderbolts have rushed for 1,574 yards, an average of 5.58 per carry, but Nick Hornbrook leads the Thunderbolts with just 256 receiving yards. Quarterback Dustin Crouse has had a down season, throwing just six touchdowns against four interceptions.
7. New Oxford; 8. Gettysburg — As I’ve written in this space before: Both are rebuilding, but they do have wins.
9. Fairfield; 10. Hanover — I couldn’t keep Fairfield behind a Hanover team that was beaten badly by York Tech on Saturday. Of course, Fairfield hasn’t played much better. I’ll see the Green Knights tonight for the first time this season.