By Daniel Paulling
We haven’t had any movement from last week, but here are my thoughts as several teams position themselves for the playoffs. I’ve also heard from a lot of people who read my posts. Please feel free to post in the comments section with how you’d vote or any thoughts.
1. Spring Grove; 2. Bermudian Springs — I received a few comments about my post last week mentioning Spring Grove’s scrimmage against Bermudian Springs. No, I didn’t base my decision on a preseason game. Those have little bearing on the season. However, I just thing the Rockets would be able to win if the game were today.
3. South Western — The Mustangs need a win today, as the No. 17 team in the District 3 Class AAAA power ratings, against No. 16 William Penn. Remember: The top 16 teams advance.
4. Biglerville; 5. Littlestown; 6. Delone Catholic — If the Canners win, they’re in, and they’d give their senior class 19 wins, which would be a school record, over a three-year period. The Thunderbolts have been quietly good on defense, but the Squires are getting back Lance Reneker (concussion) and Nick Braun (suspension). Moving down to Class A can really help them in district play.
7. New Oxford; 8. Gettysburg — I give New Oxford the slight edge here. What first-year head coach Jason Thurston has done in a rebuilding year has been excellent. He could double the team’s win total from last year after returning just one starter.
9. Fairfield; 10. Hanover — This is my game tonight. I picked Fairfield because it seems to have the slight edge offensively and defensively, but those advantages are slight. It would be nice for the Green Knights to end their 37-game losing streak. Let’s see how it plays out.